3:48 PM
0
The Queen Series is a weekly feature happening on Wednesdays. Each week one of us from The Digit-al Dozen will introduce you to our blog, tell you about how we got started, and talk a little about how we ended up being the Queen of something. We all have unique talents when it comes to nail art, and our Queen titles reflect that. Check out past posts in this series.


Name: Emily aka The Lacquerologist & The Queen of Content
Twitter: @lacquerologist

Hi everyone!  Emily from The Lacquerologist here today!  I have been crowned The Queen of Content, referring to the fact that my blog features not only nail art manicures, but swatches, tutorials, nail care and other nail-related content!  As a blogger and licensed nail technician, I love exploring all aspects of the nail industry on The Lacquerologist, though I definitely focus on some areas more than others.  My blog is probably a 50-50 mix of nail art posts and review posts, with other content like my The Lacquerologist Tells All, The Lacquerologist Quarterly and the newly introduced Pro Review series tossed in!  As I move forward in my blogging journey, I am hoping to include more nail, hand and foot care posts and reviews of professional products as well.  I try to keep the content on my blog fesh and post at least 5-7 times per week.  Throughout this post, you will see images of some of my favorite manicures from the past few years.  Most are nail art - some are even from Digit-al Dozen weeks!


I essentially eat, sleep and breathe nails all day, every day.  If I'm not doing natural manicures and pedicures at my small nail spa, Body•Spa•Banquet Nails in northeastern Ohio, I'm at home blogging and writing about nail polish, nail art and nail care.  The Lacquerologist was started on a whim nearly two and a half years ago in January 2012 when I was a graduate student in biology.  I was miserable.  While biology was my academic passion, I just couldn't see it as something I could do forever.  I had been slowly getting into nail art as a hobby and was encouraged to start blogging by several friends.  At the time, I thought I was getting pretty good and was ready to start my own polish blog...it's funny now to see how far I've come!  The whole thing started when I got my nails done for my wedding in July 2011.  I loved to paint my nails - I would try a variety of colors and dabbled in free-hand French tips, but after my wedding, I was hooked.  Not only did I enjoy having my nails properly done for the big day, but after the honeymoon, I was left with lots of free time that previously had been filled with wedding planning.  Polish obsessing just sort of dropped into my lap then.  It started at the drug store, and then with a few OPI polishes...OPI Shatter came into my life and I was on a slippery slope with fun nails that has turned into all out obsession!


The name The Lacquerologist stems from my "past life" as a student of biology and geology.  I was a science student 24/7 for basically six years, before depression got the best of me and I realized that life is in fact too short to be miserable.  Don't put off your happy life!  I started the blog while I was still in school, but the gears in my head were already turning, telling me there was more happiness out there for me.  My husband suggested the name The Lacquerologist, so that all of my -ology passions could be tied in.  I love the name and couldn't imagine changing it!  It ties all of my passions and various parts of my life together.


As far as my blogging schedule goes, it does take up quite a bit of my time!  I think lots of my friends think I'm crazy when I tell them that I treat my blog basically like a full time job.  I sort of view it as "professional development" for my career as a nail tech and small business owner.  It keeps me sane and creatively stimulated, and I've never once felt overwhelmed or bored with it.  I just love it!  I'm a planner...I have an editorial calendar and plan posts out in advance.  I tend to be a binge blogger; I sit down for hours at a time and get a ton of swatching done, and then I'll wear the same nail art manicure for two or three days while I edit all the pictures and write the posts.  The process of swatching is crazy to some people, but to me, it's borderline therapeutic and worth it!  In fact, many of my most viewed posts are "Swatch & Review" posts including the Essie 2013 Neons and the OPI Mariah Carey Holiday Collection.  Other popular posts include my Splash Floral Manicure and The Lacquerologist Tells All: Nail Plate & Eponychium Health.


I like to think The Lacquerologist comes across to my readers as an extension of me!  I hope my blog and social media platforms are approachable, fun, and educational.  My nail art style is whimsical and often simple, and I think readers like that because it's within just about anyones' reach.  I think this is why people continue to read The Lacquerologist and hang out with me on social media.  I'm currently obsessed with Instagram.  I love sharing little bits of my "non-polish" life with readers, as well as behind-the-scenes nail images!  You will definitely see lots of pictures of my black lab mix, Bob, and #mynailsandmydrink pics!  Plus, Instagram makes it so easy for you to share manis with me!  When people share their manicures that were inspired by my posts, it makes me feel so happy.  It's one of my favorite parts of blogging.  My most recreated manicure is my Splash Floral mani.  You can follow me on Instagram [here]!


My polish collection has been growing at a steady rate since 2011.  I'm not sure how many polishes I actually own - I prefer to be blissfully ignorant!  I will say this though: I have five Helmers, and they're basically all full!  One Helmer is basically all indie polishes, and one is full of just OPI and Zoya, my favorite salon brands.  I almost have a full drawer of Priti NYC, which I think I would have to crown as my favorite brand ever.  I try to stick to cruelty-free bands and their cremes (my favorite) are spot on and always have a great formula.  Plus, I love the company's heart for the environment and women!


There are so many artists in the nail community that constantly inspire me!  I love surfing Pinterest, Bloglovin', and Instagram for ideas from my fellow bloggers and nail techs.  All of the ladies of the Digit-al Dozen inspire me, but lately I am obsessed with Will Paint Nails For Food and Adventures In Acetone.  Their detailed, free-hand work completely amazes me!  I try and try to do such fine, detailed work and I just come up short every time.  I guess my natural style is just a bit more whimsical and abstract!  Lately I've also been really inspired by Sarah from Chalkboard Nails and Leslie from work/play/polish.  Both of these ladies are so well known and involved in the nail art community, yet they are super approachable and sweet...and they keep pumping out amazing art.  I also love to follow nail techs on social media.  My current obsessions are Algae Veronica and Lexi Martone.


Aside from other nail artists, I love finding nail art inspiration all around me.  I'm always snapping pictures on my phone of clothes and fabrics I see when I'm out shopping...browsing Pinterest for pretty things...looking to nature while I'm out walking my dog.  You can find inspiration anywhere!  I'm also very inspired by my clients...they always have the greatest ideas, and that leads to some great manicures!  Nail art can be a collaborative effort, and I love that.


My nail art style definitely reflects where my inspiration comes from.  My manicures are usually bright and fun...whimsical...abstract...organic.  I'll never be the nail artist that can paint a beautiful portrait on your ring finger.  I love all-over designs on each nail, and I love when each nail is slightly different, revealing that the art is, in fact, hand done!  Graphic prints.  Animal prints.  Abstract florals.  I love it all!  I tend to struggle with stamping, tape manicures and water marbling...those never turn out right on the first try for me!


My proudest blogging moment is...a secret!  There's a project I've been working on since the beginning of the year that I will share with you all as soon as I can, but for now I have to keep it quiet!  Aside from my big secret project, I've been really proud to be a member of the Digit-al Dozen.  I really admired the girls of the Digit-al Dozen, so being asked to join was an exciting moment!  Since September 2013 when I started with the Digit-al Dozen, I think my favorite theme has been Black & White (November 2013) or Decades (May 2014).  Black & White was a theme that gave so much freedom, since it's so open ended, and Decades provided much more guidance, but both themes prompted me to create some of my favorite manicures ever!


The moral of my nail art story is this: I love sharing my passion with as many people as possible.  I'm so fortunate that I get to share nail care and nail art with my clients at Body•Spa•Banquet Nails.  I get to share my nail art and love (obsession) of polish with readers through The Lacquerologist and the Digit-al Dozen.  And hopefully more outlets to share nail art will open up in the future!  Sharing nails with family, friends, clients and readers is more than just lacquers and designs; it's sharing happiness! Taking some time for yourself and treating yourself to something special is so important...and I can give that to people through nails. :)  Thanks for reading today and come hang out with me on The Lacquerologist soon!